Sunday, January 16, 2011

Friday Night Treats and Great News

Friday night is always treat night at the Craig residence. Gary usually treats himself to a beer (or three) and I sometimes treat myself to a bar of organic dark chocolate, or in this past friday night's case. A lovely bit of this:
It's heavenly. Its dairy, soy, and gluten free. Organic and Vegan. Made with coconut milk, and sweetened with agave syrup. No extra preservatives, artificial flavors, etc. It also comes in all sorts of flavors. It's also reasonable in price.

The downside: on the label, it says-

Turtle Mountain adheres to the highest standards of pasteurization, sanitation and kosher certification in the production of this product. This product was produced on equipment that also processes peanuts, tree nuts and dairy products.

So it's not completely raw. I guess I'll have to try my hand at making my own.

Also- I am monitoring the amount of coconut products I take in. Coconut- although a great source of nutrients, it does contain a high amount of fat. Even though coconut contains the health[ier] kind of fat: the Medium-Chain Fatty Acids, it's still important to monitor fats and sugar intakes.

On a side note: please watch from where you're raw almonds are coming from.

Now for the more exciting news:

My sister has agreed to join me in my 30 day raw food trial. She is going to set hers up a bit differently than mine (what works for me does not necessarily work for everybody) but we'll be doing it together!


1 comment:

  1. Great post Sarah, fantastic news that Kristen is joining you:) It's very easy to make your own ice cream and its very difficult to purchase anything packaged that doesn't contain ingredients that we want to stay away from.. and its much cheaper to make your own:) Coconut is higher in fat, but its a fat that digests well and burns off much faster than the fats that we're used to in meat, dairy products and processed foods...Everything no matter how healthy or good for us should be in moderation...She you on the Green Smoothie Challenge :) xo

    ReplyDelete