Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 5: Spastic

I'm pretty sure this short little video sums up how today went.


I don't drink coffee, and I've never made a habit out of drinking coffee, but I had so much energy today I didn't know what to do with it. This is exactly what I was like today at work. So much so, that I couldn't concentrate, focus, or accomplish anything. I felt like I was on speed, or some other strong drug I've never actually tried. So I did a terrible thing.....when offered a slice of coffee cake from a co-worker, I took it, because I knew it would probably calm me down so I could be productive. It worked as a short band-aid for my extra energy, but I think I'm going to have to start increasing my exercise or something just to burn off this excess energy I've got.

Anyways, on to the menu:

Breakfast (8:00am):

1/2 navel orange
handful of almonds
2 cups water with lemon

Snack (9:30am):

Handful of almonds

Lunch (12:00pm):

Salad- lettuce, red and yellow sweet peppers, heirloom cherry tomatoes, basil, 1/2 avocado, vinegar
Handful of almonds
1 small slice coffee cake

Snack (4:00pm):

1 large apple

Dinner (5:30pm):

Hummus(!)- sprouted chickpeas, tahini, garlic cloves, olive oil, thyme, red pepper, salt, pepper
Mushrooms
Celery Sticks
Carrots
A cucumber
Water with lemon

Dessert:

None, just didn't feel like it.

Evening tea with stevia leaves

Now, as you can see I'm falling pretty behind on my Vitamin D, B12, and A. I did some research today and turns out those are the vitamins typically found in meats, fish, and fortified dairy. I tried to find some substitutes, and it looks like fortified soy products are possible, but most of those are pasteurized.

I found that mushrooms are (relatively) high in Vitamin D. Compared to meats, fish, and dairy products, they are pitifully low, but better than nothing, right? So I'm making an effort to add more mushrooms to my diet. (Which isn't hard because I LOVE mushrooms).

Vitamin A was easy. It is found in mangos, cantaloupes, carrots, peas, spinach and kale- so that's an easy one. I just need to add a bit more variety into my veggies and fruits into my diet

Vitamin B12 is the really difficult one. So difficult in fact, that if you google "Plant Sources for Vitamin B12" you will find website after website that says "No plant sources available for vitamin B12." And- it's an extremely important vitamin involved in normal functioning of the nervous system, brain, and formation of blood. It's so difficult to find plant-based sources of Vitamin B12, that it may be necessary for me to look into supplement options. If you've got any ideas or suggestions for me, please let me know...

Ok, time for the numbers portion:

Calories: 1,897
Fat: 84.6g
Carbohydrates: 240.2g
Protein: 72.0g!

Finally got my protein up! {Thanks Chick Peas!}

Just to give you an simple picture to display how my protein was looking and how it's looking now

Yesterday Today




Carbs
Protein
Fats



See the difference?


Graphs from www.fitday.com


No comments:

Post a Comment