Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 9: Indulgence

Today was kind of a rough Monday.

I was cranky that Gary went to a super bowl party and I did not go because all of the wings, the chili, the burgers, pizza, tortilla chips, queso dip, was just wayyyy too much temptation for my brain to handle.

I was cranky at my fruit for breakfast and snack. "Gah! Not ANOTHER banana! And, please- I'm pretty sure a bag and a half of navel oranges for one person in 4 days is illegal!"

I was cranky at my lemon water. "Hey Gary, I'll trade you my water with lemon for that glass of milk ya got there."

And, when lunch time came and I dug out my "veggie tray" filled with slices of yellow pepper, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, and celery- I may have gagged a bit.

That's why, when my boss came in and said, "Hey guys, I got you all wraps for lunch," I grabbed 1 and sat at my desk chowing down on that chicken caesar wrap like a little Ethiopian child given a Thanksgiving dinner. (I may have even growled a bit).

I spent the remainder of my afternoon feeling guilty about my behavior, so after work, while Gary was busy in a meeting, I went for a 30 minute walk around campus before heading home.

Come dinner time, I knew I needed a change up.

I made zucchini pasta with pesto. AMAZING!

We used Gary's kitchen aide. He has this attachment:

We grated the zucchini length wise, and it made this wonderful thin, stringy, angel hair-like pasta.

It was just the boost I needed. I thought I had a HUGE bowl of pasta in front of me, with some wonderful pesto, but really- it was just 2 zucchini. Actually, I'm sitting here typing it- still eating away at it now.



Menu:

Breakfast (8:00am):

1 banana
1 handful almonds
4 cups lemon water

Snack (10:30am):

1 banana

Lunch (12:00pm):

1 chicken caesar wrap on herb wrap
celery sticks
yellow pepper sticks
cucumber sticks
broccoli
4 cherry tomatoes
carrot sticks

Snack (2:00pm):

1 navel orange

Dinner (6:30pm):

Zucchini pasta (2 zucchinis)
Pesto: Basil, spinach, garlic, lemon juice, 1/2 avocado, olive oil, thyme, oregano, pepper, salt
2 Brazillian nuts

The olive oil and avocado brought my daily fat intake up a bit higher than I'ld like, because of my lunch snaffu, but it was completely worth having a proper pesto.

Nutrition Numbers:

Calories: 1,587
Fat: 82.2
Carbohydrates: 181.8
Protein: 51.2


1 comment:

  1. yum- that pesto recipe sounds delicious. And the pics are beautiful! I have had the zucchini noodles w/ raw marinara, but I will have to try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete